The CDC and FDA have advised that certain individuals should receive 1 booster dose (or third shot) of COVID-19 vaccination at least four weeks after a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna vaccination.
This booster is recommended for moderately to severely immunocompromised people who have:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeﬁciency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
You may choose to receive the same brand of booster as your first dose(s) or ask your provider if another type of vaccine is appropriate.